Statement on Tropical Storm Erika & Resumption of Flight Operations

PROVIDENCIALES, Turks & Caicos Islands, Saturday, August 29th, 2015 – The Turks and Caicos Islands Airports Authority wishes to announce that due to the weakening of Tropical Storm Erika, and the improvement in weather conditions; Providenciales, Grand Turk, North Caicos, South Caicos and Salt Cay airports are open to flight operations.

The 5 a.m. (0900 GMT) forecast shows the storm moving westnorthwest over the island of Cuba near 20 mph before turning northwest. Maximum sustained winds are 40 mph with higher gusts and extend to 140 miles east of the center of the storm.

Passengers are asked to contact their respective airline for flight scheduling.

  1. Elizabeth Henry August 29, 2015 at 8:26 am

    Please notify me of changes to airport closures
    Thank you

    • admin August 29, 2015 at 9:46 am

      The airport is open. Scheduling is up to the airlines.

  2. Joshua Warren August 29, 2015 at 9:14 am

    We have a flight on an American Airlines flight at 1:35 that still is labeled as cancelled. Will those flights be reinstated?

    • admin August 29, 2015 at 9:44 am

      Please contact your airline for scheduling.

  3. Frustrated Visitor August 29, 2015 at 10:36 am

    Maybe instead of closing the airport you should have a watch system so flights are delayed instead of cancelled throwing all your visitors into the air having to make different arrangements with spotty wifi and ridiculous phone charges. Some people save up for years for a vacation here. They can’t easily deal with all these high emergency costs.

    • admin August 29, 2015 at 12:13 pm

      Thanks for the suggestion. It will be considered next time around.

  4. Andrew August 31, 2015 at 4:41 pm

    I was one of those who were affected by the airport’s decisions.
    We had been scheduled to stay in TCI until Saturday, at 4:20pm, until we started getting calls from our hotel concierge about the airport closure.
    We called our airline and they had nothing for us out of Provo until Thursday Sept 3rd! They told me that they could get us out of the area via the Bahamas so we paid the money to take InterCaribbean to the Bahamas and then to Atlanta, and then to our final destination at JFK. Since the airport was closed, we assumed the flight would be cancelled and thus we could make a claim to get some sort of reimbursement for all of our expenses! However, the airport was reopened and our flight was never cancelled! So not only did we end our honeymoon early (been saving for 3 yrs for this trip), we also won’t get any sort of compensation help from any of our insurances. Needless to say, this pretty much ruined any positive experiences we might have had at TCI.